Principal Engineer in Manchester | NatWest Group Careers
Join us as a Principal Engineer
What you'll do
- This is an exciting and challenging role that will see you leading best practice for application development and software development life cycles within the bank
- With your software development background, you'll be delivering software components to enable the delivery of platforms, applications and services for the bank
- You'll be recognised a leader in software engineering, as you lead the wider participation in internal and industry wide events, conferences and other activities
As a Principal Engineer, you'll be driving development software and tools to accomplish project and departmental objectives by converting functional and non-functional requirements into suitable designs. You'll play a leading role in planning, developing and deploying high performance robust and resilient systems for the bank, while leading engagements with senior stakeholders to explore and suggest appropriate technical solutions to achieve the required product features.
You'll have the opportunity to develop your leadership skills as you manage the technical delivery of one or more software engineering teams, overseeing the quality of their work and making sure it meets the required technical standards.
You'll also be:
The skills you'll need
- Overseeing the definition of the technical strategy and advising on product roadmaps and migration plans to achieve strategic goals
- Making sure that the bank's systems follow excellent architectural and engineering principles, and are fit for purpose
- Monitoring the technical progress against plans while safeguarding functionality, scalability and performance, and providing progress updates to stakeholders
- Designing and developing reusable libraries and APIs for use across the bank
- Writing unit and integration tests within automated test environments to ensure code quality
You'll come with a background in software engineering, software or database design and architecture, as well as significant experience developing software within an SOA or microservices paradigm.
Along with development experience in one or more programming languages, you'll bring an excellent understanding of implementing programming best practice, especially around scalability, availability and performance.
You'll also need:
- A strong background in leading software development teams, introducing and executing technical strategies
- Knowledge of using industry recognised frameworks and development tooling
- Experience of test-driven development and using automated test frameworks, mocking and stubbing and unit testing tools
- A background in designing or implementing APIs
- Experience of supporting, modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by teams other than your own
- The ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
If you need any adjustments to support your application, such as information in alternative formats or special requirements to access our buildings, or if you're eligible under the Disability Confident Scheme please contact us and we'll do everything we can to help.