Robotics Safety Field Engineer - Advanced Technology
DESCRIPTION Amazon is seeking an experienced and technology oriented Engineering - Robotics Safety Field Engineer, Advanced Technology, to drive innovation and develop breakthrough technologies within the EU Team of Advanced Technology. Successful candidates will have strong experience in machine safety of new technologies under development in the mechatronics area. Examples of technologies include robotic cells, autonomous vehicles, sortation machines and automatic packing.
The Safety Field Engineer assists the hardware and controls integration teams in incorporating safety standards and machine safety requirements in all machines and technical installations, as well as supports, instructs and trains company personnel on safety policies and procedures.
As Safety Field Engineer, you will manage on-site safety validation activities, define safety requirements for systems replicable at a global level, and collaborate with the entire design team in the development of effective solutions for our internal customers. You will support and perform on-site risk assessment and safety analyses at system, hardware and software level, and collaborate with design teams in the design of effective technical solutions aimed at achieving adequate robustness at architectural levels.
Key relationships will include interfacing with Engineering, operations, quality and program management through the life cycle of a product.
The Safety Field Engineer:
• Oversees the safe implementation of new equipment in partnership with engineering, facilities, safety, and operations teams
• Supports field safety testing activities and performs safety validation of new equipment and technologies
• Is knowledgeable in workplace safety regulations and standards, and has practical experience in ensuring their on-site implementation
• Performs on-site functional safety analysis activities for systems during all project phases (concept, requirements, design, verification & validation and production) including item definition, preliminary hazard analysis, DFMEA, qualitative and quantitative fault tree analysis consistent with applicable ISO standards. Specific focus is on testing phase.
• Applies regulatory compliance standards (with particular focus on CE Certification) to new products at a global level.
• Develops functional safety architectures and cascades functional safety requirements to the systems, subsystems, and component levels. Specifies detailed safety requirements, including diagnostic and software requirements
• Collaborates with design engineers, project managers, development team, integrators, and customers on technical aspects of functional safety
• Develops policies, interpret regulatory codes, safety standards, training and procedures for new, next generation automation technologies.
• Advises safety, engineering and operations teams on safety regulations and regulatory compliance concerns relating to process and equipment design.
• Performs safety risk assessments, regulatory compliance reviews and ergonomic reviews on equipment and operations processes.
• Works with various teams to review and approve new and modified equipment.
• Independently seeks improvement opportunities in the safety design review and validation process.
• Maintains all regulatory compliance documentation from a global perspective to ensure accurate and up to date adherence to set standards
Collaborates with certification bodies for approvals and manages projects related to certifications that comply with local, national and international regulations.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Working knowledge and experience in the European Regulations, mainly:
• Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
• Use of work equipment by workers at work Directive 2009/104/EC
• Directive 2006/95/EC (Low Voltage Directive)
• Directive 2004/108/EC (electromagnetic compatibility)
• Solid knowledge and hands-on experience on main ISO/IEC/ANSI standards, including ISO 13849, IEC 61508, ISO 10218-2, ISO 3691-4, EN 619, ANSI/RIA R15.06 etc.
• Hands-on experience in field safety activities
• System, software and safety engineering theoretical knowledge and field experience
• At least 2 years relevant work experience in product development (design and validation) and regulatory compliance
• Working knowledge of integrating new systems into new and existing work environments
• Experience reviewing equipment, including conveyance and machinery for proper guarding, interlocks, and safety features
• Experience in equipment safety change management system with integrations to engineering and procurement/supply chain
• Flexibility to travel up to 80% across Europe.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Master's degree in electrical/mechanical/mechatronic engineering or a related technical field
• US/Canada safety standards and certification process knowledge and field experience (e.g. with NTRLs)
• CMSE/CFSE certification
• Safety software development and testing hands-on experience.
• At least 5 years work experience in engineering or manufacturing with highly automated systems and robotics
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.